The StrongARM Risc PC
Acorn's Most Powerful Computer
The StrongARM Risc PC combines the proven advantages of the Risc PC with the
ground-breaking StrongARM SA-110 processor, developed jointly by ARM (TM) and
Digital (TM) Semiconductor.
The StrongARM processor at the heart of the StrongARM Risc PC is one of the
fastest, most advanced processors to be fitted to a computer outside the
The performance of the StrongARM Risc PC is apparent as soon as the
machine is turned on:
- the system boots faster and loads applications faster
- the system handles processor-intensive tasks (eg JPEG rendering) with impressive speed
- the system responds almost instantaneously to desktop events
Tests have shown that the StrongARM Risc PC running RISC OS achieves the following benchmark results:
||Dhrystone 2.1: iterations
|Risc PC 700
|DX2-66 PC / PCI bus
|P200 PC / PCI bus
|StrongARM Risc PC
The new StrongARM Risc PC runs cooler than any machine with comparable
performance, and is very reliable.
- Processor power consumption is less than 1 Watt, compared to at least 5
Watt for most ordinary PCs and up to 18 Watt for some Workstation-class
- Cooler running removes the need for a potentially troublesome fan; the
fan in the Risc PC is only required to cool the supporting components and
In common with all Risc PCs, the StrongARM Risc PC has future-proofing as an
integral part of its design specification.
- User exchangeable processor cards
- Modular case design expandable up to 7 slices; a 7 slice machine can
contain up to 8 Eurocard-size expansion cards, 1 NIC card and 15 drives
- Hundreds of different expansion cards available, enabling the machine
to be configured to meet almost any need
World class operating system
RISC OS is a flexible working environment where excellent text and graphics
capability is enhanced by high colour depth and easy to use interface paradigms
(eg full implementation of drag-and-drop).
- Modular structure makes RISC OS easy to enhance and expand
- ROM based operating system for minimum memory footprint
- Pop up menus reduce display clutter to a minimum
- 3000 plus software titles available
The StrongARM Risc PC supports high quality access to PC business applications
running under DOS or Windows with the addition of a 486 or 586 processor card.
- Both operating systems have access to memory, drives and CD ROMs;
memory is allotted to the PC card only when the card boots, and is released
to the RISC OS free pool when the software which drives the card is quit
- Move text and graphics easily between Windows and RISC OS
- Read and write ordinary PC discs (even without a processor card).
Multiple advantages in a multimedia world
The new StrongARM Risc PC is one of the fastest, most powerful and most flexible
solutions yet devised for creating outstanding multimedia projects.
- Drag and drop text, graphics, Photo CD, sound and video resources from
local hard drives, CD ROMs or the Internet
- Image filing systems keep resources in their original form
- Anti-aliasing for crisp clean text rendering
- Professional graphics capability with up to 16 million colours
- Create and edit movies with full-screen, full-motion video and CD
quality stereo sound (16 bit, 44.1 kHz) without the need for additional
graphics or audio cards.
The ART of Progress
Acorn's team of innovative engineers has pioneered most of the spectacular
advances made by Acorn in recent years, including the development of the Risc
Now Acorn's expertise and experience have created one of the fastest and most
powerful desktop PC's available: the StrongARM Risc PC.